Wednesday, July 25, 2007

GPP Street Team Crusade #3 - Tattoo

I was getting together my version of the #3 Crusade about tattoos. I printed up pics of my 2 favorite tats, and I put them down on my desk...next thing I know, I look over, and this is how they looked where I set them down on top of eachother. To quote a very wise person, "How Cool Is That?" What a wicked cool image, if I do say so myself! The sun, on my upper thigh, is one that I did myself back when I first started getting good at tattooing. The wings - inside my biceps - I got those from the artist I replaced at Skin Deep Tattoo in Maui, circa 1992. That's what brought me out to Maui to live - an enticing job offer at the oldest tattoo shop in Maui. I worked for this awesome woman, Taunee Beekman. She is a very down to Earth lesbian tattoo artist and shop owner. She was really great. Actually, Maui overall was really great. I was there for a whole decade, and I do miss the island lifestyle...although, it does get pretty isolated out there in the middle of the ocean. Hawaii is a DOT in the middle of the ocean.
For me, being a tattoo artist has been such a life enhancing experience. Before that, I was a fine dining pastry chef. I excelled in my career. I was published. Worked at a world class restaurant, under an ingenious executive chef who gave me a lot of creative freedom. But still, every day as I punched in at the timeclock, I found myself wondering, "is this all there is??" When tattooing came in to my life, I gained so much more self esteem and confidence. Also, the nature of the job - ever changing challenges - is just what I needed to find fufillment. Tattooing has brought me to many a place, far and near. It had given me incredible discipline as an artist. My clients will request a certain design, and it is my obligation to come up with the best design possible - for it will be on someone's body forever. I consider this an honor and a priveledge, and a great responsibility. I have a very spiritual approach to my tattooing. I connect with my clients. I probably don't charge enough for my tattoos - that's why I leave the pricing up to my husband - that way I walk away much happier (in the pocket).
Tattoos are definitely not for everyone. But me, they make me who I am.

5 comments:

michelle ward said...

mary - thanks for sharing your tattoo story with the team. it was many months ago that we visited tattoo as a challenge but it will be great fun for the everyone to learn more about you. i love seeing your ink, and hearing about how rewarding your profession is. i have decided on my next one....maybe a field trip to your neck of the woods is next :)

Mandy Chilvers said...

fantastic mary... very interesting to read about part of your story

Xanthe said...

What a great story and a terrific image!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was digging for the sake of that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are all over 350 bucks on every site. But completely I found this location selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you tell me about these?